Monday, March 1, 2010

Being an Orch Dork

Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

Following my sister and brother's foot steps, I enrolled in orchestra in sixth grade (or as I like to call it, the most ridiculous year of your life). I had taken two years of violin lessons; we used the Suzuki method (you listen, then you play it). Not only did I extremely suck at violin, I could barely clap with a rhythm. My older sister, a musical genius (not Mozart, but closer than Handel) could play a violin, banjo, viola, and spoons better than anyone in my family. For the past Summer, Doria and her two friends , Dani and Sydney, have been trying to put together a folk band. If you went to Shakori, you would understand. When you camp out in the middle of a field with 500 other people, you really start to like folk music.


As I traveled through middle school and then entered high school, orchestra was the only constant, a forced constant, but never less a constant. For the first two years I had Mr. Singleton, he wasn't exactly the best person to teach you when you are first learning, he was in a way, lackadaisical. The truth was that I wasn't naturally good at the cello, at least with his way of teaching, by the beginning of eighth grade it was obvious I was far behind. Much to my surprise, I had a new teacher, Ms. Fuchs. She was young, maybe twenty-two. Fresh out of college, she really hasn't found her place in the teaching world. It didn't help that I was the only cello (thank you Michael, not). I am not going to lie, the first couple of months of eighth grade was hard, I worked a lot harder than I thought I was going to. It was all worth it when the Fall concert came around. The first song was perfect, I got all of the dynamics, bowing's and articulations. I was extremely proud of myself. My mom was too, she bought me ice cream.

As I entered high school orchestra, the torture began. As you have already previously assumed, I am a talkative person. I love to express my opinions and ask about people. Most people say this is a good trait, I'm personable. Apparently it's not a good trait in orchestra. Before we even start tuning she locks her eyes in me and makes me move forward. Why doesn't she just move me there indefinitely? It would save us both a lot of work (well, mostly me). Her grading system is ridiculous, if you get six out of seven on a test you get a seventy-five! That is a huge, failing grade in not only my book, but also my parent's. It is bringing down my GPA, the thing that will cause me to not get into a college I want. All the seniors score 100, that's because they are seniors. I'm not the only one of us either, people like me are everywhere in that class. Thankfully, I am one of the lucky ones, my parents are letting me drop out. Hallelujah!

I am not very good at staying with things I might not exactly enjoy all of the time, like playing the cello, I'm reckless and independent when it comes to things I loathe, like partying and playing the cello. When it comes to things I love, I will do anything for that experience and repeat it over and over again.

1 comment:

  1. You have a good writer's voice. I like the way you tell this story. You know you aren't passionate about something when the low grade outweighs the joy of being there. Doesn't sound like you had much joy there living in others shadows.

    ReplyDelete