Sunday, March 14, 2010

What in your hometown would you show new friends from college to help them know you better?

Having been a Wilmingtonian (my sister Doria made that up) for my entire life, I have been able to explore the corners and cracks that have been shaded from the general public. My family's opinion of living anywhere, is that our duty as citizens is to explore all of the big and small wonders that your town has. Which is why I found this question particularly interesting.

Having really no true mode of transportation, my knowledge of Wilmington was sparse at best. This all changed this Summer. My older sister Doria came home from college and finally got her driver's licence, thank God. My life was now open for the next two and a half months. We explored every corner of Wilmington, and one of my favorite places was the Country Store (we call it that, that's why I capitalized it).

With its homemade cheeses and breads, the Country Store has an abundance of goodies. Every time my sister and I go there, we both get a piece of fruit, a slice of cheese, and a bottled soda (try a Nehi, it's like drinking a peach). Then we go to the Battleship and enjoy the scenery.

The people and the odd things they sold at the Store, were what made the experience special. They sold single circus peanuts, and pig's feet fried (I'm a vegetarian). Mini pumpkin pies, were also one of my favorites. The store smelled of tobacco and flour. It smelled like Southern happiness (smoking is bad though, don't do it). It was so new and clean to me, when probably it was at least twenty years old and hasn't been properly cleaned in years. It was an entire different place.

The entire experience of the Country Store, exemplifies how no matter where you come from, or how you dress, the simple things, like cheese that costs sixty-eight cents, is what makes life grand and special. A life that's worth living.

1 comment:

  1. I think I've been to that store. It's candy heaven, right?

    ReplyDelete